Click here for the first part covering the Cyber Attacks from 1 to 15 October 2012.
Here is the timeline for the main Cyber Attacks in October 2012. A month that has been characterized by hacktivism and also by several remarkable cyber crime operations.
For sure the next days will be hard for taxpayers of South Carolina, whose Department of Revenue has been targeted by foreign hackers able to access records of 3.6 million of individuals. But hard days are going to come also for banks: not only the trail of DDoS attack against U.S. Banks has continued even in the second half of the month (although different groups took credit for them), but also, on the cyber crime front, Citigroup has lost 1 million of bucks because of a loophole exploited by a ring of 13 individuals. Different motivations, same lesson: bank security needs a dramatic improvement.
Moving to hactkivism, nothing new under the sun. The pale sun of October has enlightened several operations targeting governments (Greece and Italy above all, to reflect the delicate situation of these two countries) and organization all over the world…
As usual after the jump you will find all the references.
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 and the related statistics (regularly updated), and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
Also, feel free to submit remarkable incidents that in your opinion deserve to be included in the timelines (and charts).
Update June 4 2012: May 2012 Cyber Attacks Timeline (Part II)
As usual here it is the timeline of the Main Cyber Attacks occurred in May (at least according to my evaluation criteria).
This first half of the month has seen the arrival of a new hacking collective, “The Unknowns”, who has performed an impressive trail of attacks during the first days of May, targeting Space Agencies, Universities, and several other organizations. Although these events appear to be closer to cyber crime actions rather than hactivistim-driven attacks, they have not been the most remarkable ones of these days: as a matter of fact chronicles report of a massive breach at the Hangzhou Dianzi University, targeting approximately 150.000 acccounts.
As far as hacktivism is concerned, this first half of May has confirmed the constant trend of DDoS attacks targeting high profile websites such as SOCA and CIA (once again) and the Supreme Court in retaliation for the U.K. extradition laws.
Interesting to mention is also an alleged Cyber Espionage campaign targeting networks belonging to US natural gas pipeline companies.
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 (regularly updated), and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
- 643,453 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- August 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- November 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- XML Encryption Cracked!
- 16-30 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- October 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 1-15 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- November 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics wp.me/p14J6X-2u5 - 5 days ago
- RT @tvcutsem: Best explanation I read so far on why Bitcoin has value reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comm… - 5 days ago
- Hack on JPMorgan website exposes data for 465,000 card holders ars.to/IKUpsG - 1 week ago
- 16-30 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2tY - 1 week ago
- 1-15 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2tO - 2 weeks ago
- RT @Accumuli_Sec: Accumuli signs partnership with @Lastlineinc and announces availability of integration suite into #SIEM platforms http://… - 3 weeks ago
- October 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics wp.me/p14J6X-2tw - 3 weeks ago
- Anti-APT startup Lastline heads for London's Tech City - Techworld.com news.techworld.com/security/34895… - 3 weeks ago
- 1-16 October 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2tp - 1 month ago
- It's time to go back to Europe. Thank you @Mandiant @taosecurity for this awesome #MIRcon - 1 month ago