The first half of August has seen a revamping of Hacktivism, encouraged by the takedown of the famous Torrent Tracker Demonoid (and the consequent OpDemonoid targeting most of all Ukrainian sites), but also encouraged by OpAustralia, the wave of attacks against Australian Web Sites carried on against the Australian Internet Surveillance Law (apparently the latter operation was successful since the controversial law has been put on standby).
But Hacktivism was not the only “trend topic” for this period. The Middle East continues to be the cradle for unexpected cyber weapons threats. In August, two new occurrences of allegedly state sponsored malware: Gauss, a cyber-espionage tool targeting bank transaction, and Shamoon , a destructive malware targeting energy companies.
These are probably the most remarkable Cyber Events of this period, which has also seen a purported giant breach targeting Pearl.fr, a French e-commerce website whose 729,000 accounts, together with over 1 million bank transaction details, have been subtracted by hackers.
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 and the related statistics (regularly updated), and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
Also, feel free to submit remarkable incidents that in your opinion deserve to be included in the timelines (and charts).
- 879,757 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- 1-15 August 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics (Summary)
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- A (Graphical) World of Botnets and Cyber Attacks
- 1-15 June 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- About Me
- RT @lastlineinc: Lastline Secures $10 Million in Funding info.lastline.com/blog/lastline-… http://t.co/qGLzfYe426 - 35 minutes ago
- @lastlineinc Secures $10 Million Funding Round lastline.com/company/press-… - 50 minutes ago
- UPS says 51 stores infected with credit card stealing malware ars.to/1nbAUal - 10 hours ago
- 1-15 August 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2DG - 2 days ago
- Europe's new data laws: how many cloud vendors would comply? Only one cloud provider in 100 study finds. zdnet.com/europes-new-da… - 4 days ago
- RT @helpnetsecurity: A look at advanced targeted attacks through the lens of a human-rights NGO - bit.ly/1nNAt5s - 1 week ago
- New study: Activists pose easy target for nation-state attackers ars.to/1uLbZ2C - 1 week ago
- A Look at Advanced Targeted Attacks Through the Lense of a Human-Rights NGO, World Uyghur Congress labs.lastline.com/a-look-at-adva… - 1 week ago
- July 2014 Cyber Attacks Statistics wp.me/p14J6X-2Dm - 1 week ago
- @jmsahr @ericdknapp @icsisac THX 4 jumping into the fray! If helpful I tried in the past.. 2 much time Xpensive 4 me! paulsparrows.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/infogr… - 1 week ago