So here we are with the first Cyber Attacks Timeline for 2013 covering the first half of January.
Apparently the new year has begun with an intense activity by Cyber Crooks. Hacktivists and Cyber Criminals had many time to spend in front of their keyboards during the holiday break, and as a consequence the number of breaches with more than 10.000 accounts compromised is incredibly high. WWF China, the City of Steubenville, Ohio and The German Chamber of Commerce are only three examples of institutions that suffered massive breaches during the beginning of this year.
But the massive breaches are not the only remarkable events of this period: the waves of DDoS Attacks against US banks continued (and promise to extend also in the next weeks), Kaspersky Lab discovered a new massive Cyber Espionage Campaign dubbed “Red October”, and also the Japan Farm Ministry was hit by yet another Cyber Attack, allegedly originating from China…
If this is only the beginning… 2013 promises to be pretty much troubled for system administrators…
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 and the related statistics (regularly updated), and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
Also, feel free to submit remarkable incidents that in your opinion deserve to be included in the timelines (and charts). To do so, you can use this form.
Click here for part 1.
The second half of January is gone, and it is undoubtely clear that this month has been characterized by hacktivism and will be remembered for the Mega Upload shutdown. Its direct and indirect aftermaths led to an unprecedented wave of cyber attacks in terms of LOIC-Based DDoS (with a brand new self service approach we will need to get used to), defacements and more hacking initiatives against several Governments and the EU Parliament, all perpetrated under the common umbrella of the opposition to SOPA, PIPA and ACTA. These attacks overshadowed another important Cyber Event: the Middle East Cyberwar (which for the sake of clarity deserved a dedicated series of posts, here Part I and Part II) and several other major breaches (above all Dreamhost and New York State Electric & Gas and Rochester Gas & Electric).
Chronicles also reports a cyber attack to railways, several cyber attacks to universities, a preferred target, and also of a bank robbery in South Africa which allowed the attackers to steal $6.7 million.
Do you think that cyber attacks in this month crossed the line and the Cyber Chessboard will not be the same anymore? It may be, meanwhile do not forget to follow @paulsparrows to get the latest timelines and feel free to support and improve my work with suggeastions and other meaningful events I eventually forgot to mention.
- 461,206 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- April 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- 16-30 April 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- About Me
- Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Indexes
- March 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 16-31 January 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- RT @jc_vazquez: Vista Equity Partners to Buy Websense #News #InfoSec on.wsj.com/13BfWaw via @WSJ - 1 day ago
- Pentagon OKs Androids, BlackBerrys for soldiers nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/05/07/pen… - 2 days ago
- April 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics wp.me/p14J6X-2oX - 2 days ago
- RT @LastlineLabs: Marco Cova from Lastline talking about hacktivism on Italian TV ow.ly/l8Az6 - 3 days ago
- RT @lastlineinc: Malware can make itself invisible: in the case of RSA security's breach, malware went undetected for 1/2 year http://t.co/… - 4 days ago
- RT @gianlucaSB: SMS-based command and control protocols are here ow.ly/l47Ye - 6 days ago
- Skype with care Microsoft is reading everything you write h-online.com/security/news/… - 1 week ago
- How the Syrian Electronic Army Hacked The Onion - Onion Inc.'s Tech Blog theonion.github.com/blog/2013/05/0… - 1 week ago
- @Xyri3 sorry I forgot :) Done! - 1 week ago
- @Xyri3 sure when you want. - 1 week ago