Two Weeks Living Dangerously! I have no other words to describe this second half of January (first two weeks here) that has shown an unprecedented level of attacks! And if a good day starts with the morning, this will be a very troubled year from an information security perspective.
Not only the peaks of DDoS attacks against the US Banks have reached an unstoppable peak, but, most of all, at the end of the month details have been unveiled about a massive cyber-espionage campaign allegedly orchestrated by Chinese hackers against some major US media including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post and Bloomberg News.
A very very long list of targets this month, with some high profile victims such as the U.S. Sentencing Commission, whose web site has been hacked twice and turned into an Asteroid game, but also Renault Argentina that suffered 37,000 accounts leaked.
To summarize this month is really impossible, you just have to scroll down the timeline to realize the hacking spree in this January 2013.
If this trend continues, I will have to decrease the frequency of publication…
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 and the related statistics (regularly updated), and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
Also, feel free to submit remarkable incidents that in your opinion deserve to be included in the timelines (and charts). To do so, you can use this form.
Update June 4 2012: May 2012 Cyber Attacks Timeline (Part II)
As usual here it is the timeline of the Main Cyber Attacks occurred in May (at least according to my evaluation criteria).
This first half of the month has seen the arrival of a new hacking collective, “The Unknowns”, who has performed an impressive trail of attacks during the first days of May, targeting Space Agencies, Universities, and several other organizations. Although these events appear to be closer to cyber crime actions rather than hactivistim-driven attacks, they have not been the most remarkable ones of these days: as a matter of fact chronicles report of a massive breach at the Hangzhou Dianzi University, targeting approximately 150.000 acccounts.
As far as hacktivism is concerned, this first half of May has confirmed the constant trend of DDoS attacks targeting high profile websites such as SOCA and CIA (once again) and the Supreme Court in retaliation for the U.K. extradition laws.
Interesting to mention is also an alleged Cyber Espionage campaign targeting networks belonging to US natural gas pipeline companies.
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 (regularly updated), and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
- 636,622 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- August 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 16-30 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- September 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 1-15 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- About Me
- A (Graphical) World of Botnets and Cyber Attacks
- Hack on JPMorgan website exposes data for 465,000 card holders ars.to/IKUpsG - 1 day ago
- 16-30 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2tY - 3 days ago
- 1-15 November 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2tO - 1 week ago
- RT @Accumuli_Sec: Accumuli signs partnership with @Lastlineinc and announces availability of integration suite into #SIEM platforms http://… - 2 weeks ago
- October 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics wp.me/p14J6X-2tw - 2 weeks ago
- Anti-APT startup Lastline heads for London's Tech City - Techworld.com news.techworld.com/security/34895… - 3 weeks ago
- 1-16 October 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2tp - 3 weeks ago
- It's time to go back to Europe. Thank you @Mandiant @taosecurity for this awesome #MIRcon - 1 month ago
- RT @jasonsoroko: Paolo Passeri of Hackmageddon.com discussing attack trends. #MIRcon http://t.co/KDMxh1T2Yu - 1 month ago
- Fight against malware developing into arms race itpro.co.uk/malware/20933/… - 1 month ago