Here’s the second part of the April cyber attacks Timeline (Part I at this link)
The most remarkable event of this period has certainly been the breach suffered by Living Social potentially exposing 50 million customers of the e-commerce website. Other illustrious victims of the month include the mobile operator DoCoMo and the online reputation firm Reputation.com.
The wake of DDoS attacks has continued even in the second part of the month: once again several U.S. banks have fallen under the blows of the Izz ad-din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters.
Like in the first half of the month, following a consolidating trend in this 2013, the Syrian Electronic Army has continued his wave of attacks against Twitter accounts (even the FIFA has been targeted). In one case, the hijacking of the Twitter account of Associated Press, the bogus tweets related to an alleged attack against the White House, the effect has crossed the boundaries of the cyber space (the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 150 points, or about 1 percent, immediately following the tweet).
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011, 2012 and now 2013 (regularly updated). You may also want to have a look at the Cyber Attack Statistics, and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
Also, feel free to submit remarkable incidents that in your opinion deserve to be included in the timelines (and charts).
Click here for part 1.
The second half of January is gone, and it is undoubtely clear that this month has been characterized by hacktivism and will be remembered for the Mega Upload shutdown. Its direct and indirect aftermaths led to an unprecedented wave of cyber attacks in terms of LOIC-Based DDoS (with a brand new self service approach we will need to get used to), defacements and more hacking initiatives against several Governments and the EU Parliament, all perpetrated under the common umbrella of the opposition to SOPA, PIPA and ACTA. These attacks overshadowed another important Cyber Event: the Middle East Cyberwar (which for the sake of clarity deserved a dedicated series of posts, here Part I and Part II) and several other major breaches (above all Dreamhost and New York State Electric & Gas and Rochester Gas & Electric).
Chronicles also reports a cyber attack to railways, several cyber attacks to universities, a preferred target, and also of a bank robbery in South Africa which allowed the attackers to steal $6.7 million.
Do you think that cyber attacks in this month crossed the line and the Cyber Chessboard will not be the same anymore? It may be, meanwhile do not forget to follow @paulsparrows to get the latest timelines and feel free to support and improve my work with suggeastions and other meaningful events I eventually forgot to mention.
- 853,039 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- 1-15 July 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- A (Graphical) World of Botnets and Cyber Attacks
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics (Summary)
- June 2014 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 1-15 June 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- May 2014 Cyber Attack Statistics
- @lastlineinc recognized by CRN as a 2014 Emerging Vendor | Business Wire businesswire.com/news/home/2014… - 12 hours ago
- 1-15 July 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline #Infosec #Cyberattacks wp.me/p14J6X-2D9 - 1 day ago
- @ckreibich same test worked with an @A10Networks SSL inspector: malicious files downloaded through an https connection perfectly detected! - 4 days ago
- RT @lastlineinc: 'Cloud malware analysis a must-have for advanced threat protection' @TechTarget bit.ly/W70Opa http://t.co/ji5qWtt… - 6 days ago
- RT @cedricpernet: We are proud to be the first french guys to release a white paper about an #APT group :) ow.ly/z2fzL #cybercri… - 1 week ago
- Chinese businessman charged with hacking Boeing, Lockheed Martin ars.to/1yayEY9 - 1 week ago
- RT @lastlineinc: 1st quarter '15 earnings call from @barracuda mentions @lastlineinc to power APT protection hubs.ly/q0Hmf0 http://… - 1 week ago
- June 2014 Cyber Attacks Statistics wp.me/p14J6X-2CJ - 2 weeks ago
- I had to change the June Cyber Attacks Timeline after the revelation the alleged hack to the Hedge Fund was not real: hackmageddon.com/2014/07/02/16-… - 2 weeks ago
- @claushoumann Thank you, I really appreciate your support! It's time consuming but I believe it's worthwhile! - 2 weeks ago