The first half of March is gone, and here it is the Timeline of the main Cyber Attacks for this period, a timeline which shows, once again, a month characterized by Hacktivism, and in particular by cyber attacks carried on in retaliation for the arrests of the LulzSec members, among which, particularly meaningful, is the one perpetrated against a Security Firm: Panda Security.
As far as hacktivism is concerned, March has also seen the rise of a new hacking collective called The Consortium, who hacked Digital Playground, an adult porn site, acquiring 72,000 user accounts.
Other remarkable events include the attacks to several Vatican Websites, the theft of Michael Jackson’s catalogue from Sony, and the Cyber attack to British Pregnancy Advisory Service which allowed the alleged attacker, to illegally obtain 10,000 records.
Last but not least, James Stavridis, the NATO Admiral, has fallen indirect victim of a Social Poisoning Cyber Attack allegedly perpetrated by chinese hackers, as also BBC has fallen victim of a sophisticated Cyber Attacks from Iran.
The references are after the jump and, as always, the timeline does not include the events related to Middle East Cyberwar, object of a dedicated timeline.
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 (regularly updated) and follow @pausparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
Find here February 2012 Cyber Attacks Timelime Part I.
With a small delay (my apologies but the end of February has been very busy for me and not only for Cybercrooks as you will soon see), here it is the second part of my compilation with the main Cyber Attacks for February 2012.
Easily Predictable, the Hacktivism is still the main concern for System Administrators, in particular for the ones of Stratfor who suffered a huge leak of 5 million of emails.
On the same front, the threats of the Anonymous for the Friday actions have come true and as a matter of fact Law Enforcement Agencies suffered other remarkable breaches in this month: Infragard for the second time and also Interpol (a new entry) that was taken down after the arrest of 25 members of the collective. Anti ACTA protest also continue to shake Europe as also the delicate economical and social situation in Greece.
Last but not least, this month has also seen an unforgettable leak, affecting potentially more than 1.000.000 Youporn users.
As usual, the chart does not include the events related to Middle East Cyber War Timeline, that you may find at this link, as they “deserve” a dedicated timeline.
Click here for part 1.
The second half of January is gone, and it is undoubtely clear that this month has been characterized by hacktivism and will be remembered for the Mega Upload shutdown. Its direct and indirect aftermaths led to an unprecedented wave of cyber attacks in terms of LOIC-Based DDoS (with a brand new self service approach we will need to get used to), defacements and more hacking initiatives against several Governments and the EU Parliament, all perpetrated under the common umbrella of the opposition to SOPA, PIPA and ACTA. These attacks overshadowed another important Cyber Event: the Middle East Cyberwar (which for the sake of clarity deserved a dedicated series of posts, here Part I and Part II) and several other major breaches (above all Dreamhost and New York State Electric & Gas and Rochester Gas & Electric).
Chronicles also reports a cyber attack to railways, several cyber attacks to universities, a preferred target, and also of a bank robbery in South Africa which allowed the attackers to steal $6.7 million.
Do you think that cyber attacks in this month crossed the line and the Cyber Chessboard will not be the same anymore? It may be, meanwhile do not forget to follow @paulsparrows to get the latest timelines and feel free to support and improve my work with suggeastions and other meaningful events I eventually forgot to mention.
- 854,131 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- 1-15 July 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics (Summary)
- A (Graphical) World of Botnets and Cyber Attacks
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- Next Generation Firewalls and Web Applications Firewall Q&A
- June 2014 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- @lastlineinc recognized by CRN as a 2014 Emerging Vendor | Business Wire businesswire.com/news/home/2014… - 1 day ago
- 1-15 July 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline #Infosec #Cyberattacks wp.me/p14J6X-2D9 - 2 days ago
- @ckreibich same test worked with an @A10Networks SSL inspector: malicious files downloaded through an https connection perfectly detected! - 5 days ago
- RT @lastlineinc: 'Cloud malware analysis a must-have for advanced threat protection' @TechTarget bit.ly/W70Opa http://t.co/ji5qWtt… - 1 week ago
- RT @cedricpernet: We are proud to be the first french guys to release a white paper about an #APT group :) ow.ly/z2fzL #cybercri… - 1 week ago
- Chinese businessman charged with hacking Boeing, Lockheed Martin ars.to/1yayEY9 - 1 week ago
- RT @lastlineinc: 1st quarter '15 earnings call from @barracuda mentions @lastlineinc to power APT protection hubs.ly/q0Hmf0 http://… - 1 week ago
- June 2014 Cyber Attacks Statistics wp.me/p14J6X-2CJ - 2 weeks ago
- I had to change the June Cyber Attacks Timeline after the revelation the alleged hack to the Hedge Fund was not real: hackmageddon.com/2014/07/02/16-… - 2 weeks ago
- @claushoumann Thank you, I really appreciate your support! It's time consuming but I believe it's worthwhile! - 2 weeks ago