So here we are with the first Cyber Attacks Timeline for 2013 covering the first half of January.
Apparently the new year has begun with an intense activity by Cyber Crooks. Hacktivists and Cyber Criminals had many time to spend in front of their keyboards during the holiday break, and as a consequence the number of breaches with more than 10.000 accounts compromised is incredibly high. WWF China, the City of Steubenville, Ohio and The German Chamber of Commerce are only three examples of institutions that suffered massive breaches during the beginning of this year.
But the massive breaches are not the only remarkable events of this period: the waves of DDoS Attacks against US banks continued (and promise to extend also in the next weeks), Kaspersky Lab discovered a new massive Cyber Espionage Campaign dubbed “Red October”, and also the Japan Farm Ministry was hit by yet another Cyber Attack, allegedly originating from China…
If this is only the beginning… 2013 promises to be pretty much troubled for system administrators…
If you want to have an idea of how fragile our data are inside the cyberspace, have a look at the timelines of the main Cyber Attacks in 2011 and 2012 and the related statistics (regularly updated), and follow @paulsparrows on Twitter for the latest updates.
Also, feel free to submit remarkable incidents that in your opinion deserve to be included in the timelines (and charts). To do so, you can use this form.
Click here for part 1.
The second half of January is gone, and it is undoubtely clear that this month has been characterized by hacktivism and will be remembered for the Mega Upload shutdown. Its direct and indirect aftermaths led to an unprecedented wave of cyber attacks in terms of LOIC-Based DDoS (with a brand new self service approach we will need to get used to), defacements and more hacking initiatives against several Governments and the EU Parliament, all perpetrated under the common umbrella of the opposition to SOPA, PIPA and ACTA. These attacks overshadowed another important Cyber Event: the Middle East Cyberwar (which for the sake of clarity deserved a dedicated series of posts, here Part I and Part II) and several other major breaches (above all Dreamhost and New York State Electric & Gas and Rochester Gas & Electric).
Chronicles also reports a cyber attack to railways, several cyber attacks to universities, a preferred target, and also of a bank robbery in South Africa which allowed the attackers to steal $6.7 million.
Do you think that cyber attacks in this month crossed the line and the Cyber Chessboard will not be the same anymore? It may be, meanwhile do not forget to follow @paulsparrows to get the latest timelines and feel free to support and improve my work with suggeastions and other meaningful events I eventually forgot to mention.
- 752,774 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- A (Graphical) World of Botnets and Cyber Attacks
- August 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 16-31 March 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- 1-15 March 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics (Summary)
- About Me
- Analyzing a banking Trojan info.lastline.com/blog/analyzing… - 2 days ago
- Pipeline for a scalable malware analysis process: an interesting take from our very own @marco_cova. Worths reading! info.lastline.com/blog/a-pipelin… - 2 days ago
- 16-31 March 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2y0 - 5 days ago
- RT @lastlineinc: Lastline co-founder Engin Kirda presents "Evasive Malware Attacks" at NY Information Security Meetup http://t.co/pcoZnspu1l - 1 week ago
- WatchGuard Uses Lastline's Cloud Based Sandbox to Combat APTs info.lastline.com/blog/watchguar… - 2 weeks ago
- @kf916 For the moment only the timelines. I am very busy. Hope to republish the charts quite soon - 2 weeks ago
- @lastlineinc is present at #ROOMn2014, visit our booth and discover how you can protect your organization from mobile advanced threats - 2 weeks ago
- @raistolo @dguido have you tried @HackSurfer? - 2 weeks ago
- 1-15 March 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2xK - 2 weeks ago
- How To Build An Effective Sandbox: info.lastline.com/blog/different… - 3 weeks ago