Tweets Of War Officially Confirmed
Do you remember my Tweets of War? That is the post in which I hypothesized that the rebels in Libya could use social networks to provide the coordinates of loyalists to the Allied troops in order to identify targets to bomb? Well, it looks like that a couple of months ago I was a good prophet, since the tweets of war were effectively real.
As a matter of fact today Wired confirmed that NATO used Twitter as the newest bombing tool (the information was originally reported by AFP)
Twitter and Facebook are among a wide range of media and other sources NATO’s intelligence officers monitor around-the-clock to identify potential targets in the air war against Kadhafi’s troops, the officials said.
“We will take information from every source we can,” said British Wing Commander Mike Bracken, the Libya operation’s military spokesman. “We get information from open sources on the Internet, we get Twitter.”
What follows is a Tweet of War from the original article collected a couple of months ago, indicating possible coordinates in the city of Misrata:
Of course, reputation is the main security concern, so that an anonymous official stressed that any information is checked against other more reliable sources such as satellite imagery and other traditional intelligence gathering before any jets are deployed.
With no doubt this evidence shows the real power and the primary role played in modern wars of what I called Mobile Warfare, that is the use of mobile technologies and social networks to turn the tide of a conflict.
Thanks to David for identifying the tweets and suggesting me the article from Wired.
- 718,986 hits since November 2010
08/13/2011 - My Post on Android Malware Mentioned on Engadget.
04/14/2011 - The Article Smart Grid: L'ultima Frontiera del Cybercrime published on ICT Security Magazine May 2011.
03/14/2011 - Security Summit 2011: Paolo Passeri guest at Round Table "Mobile Security: Rischi, Tecnologie, Mercato"
02/14/2011 - The Article Gears of Cyberwar published on ICT Security Magazine January 2011.
About This Blog
In this blog I express my personal opinion, which does not necessarily reflects the opinion of my organization, about events and news or interest, concerning information security, winking to mobile world and, why not, to some curious personal event.
Every information is reported with its source.
Anyone intending to use information contained in my post is free to do so, provided that mention my blog in your article.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Of Hacked Celebrities Who Had (Nude) Photos Leaked
- August 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 2013 Cyber Attacks Timeline Master Index
- 2012 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- 1-15 February 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline
- March 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- October 2013 Cyber Attacks Statistics
- About Me
- A (Graphical) World of Botnets and Cyber Attacks
- Web Security For Advanced Malware And Persistent Threats info.lastline.com/blog/web-secur… - 3 days ago
- @lazy_daemon @malm0u53 @unibirmingham @lastlineinc You can find it in the project main page together with the report: c2report.org - 3 days ago
- An Interesting #infographic from the same project promoted by @unibirmingham in collaboration with @lastlineinc http://t.co/OlrisuUkNZ - 3 days ago
- Command & Control, Understanding, Denying and Detecting: c2report.org/report.pdf - 3 days ago
- RT @lastlineinc: The New Age Of The Security Startup - @TechCrunch article featuring Lastline: hub.am/1dnTBGu http://t.co/9oOZUVgMH9 - 5 days ago
- 1-15 February 2014 Cyber Attacks Timeline wp.me/p14J6X-2xl - 6 days ago
- RT @lastlineinc: @RSAConference is far from over. Come meet our team at booth 2537 to talk everything security! http://t.co/mQNB8cbQtw - 1 week ago
- @lastlineinc named Best Security Startup at the Annual Info Security 2014 Global Excellence Industry Awards info.lastline.com/blog/lastline-… - 1 week ago
- RT @lastlineinc: Kicking off @RSAConference with 5 wins, including Best New Security Start-Up @infosecuritypg Excellence Awards: http://t.c… - 1 week ago
- @lastlineinc announces Interoperability with @hpsecurity TippingPoint lastline.com/company/press-… - 1 week ago